Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Captain's Desk

No farmhouse update this week.  This week I wanted to show you a Captain's desk that I just love. 

While trolling the internet I came across an antique auction site.  I scrolled down through the sight and saw this unique Captain's desk.  I fell in love with it and decided I needed to try and make it in miniature. 


The description gave the height, width and the depth of the desk.  That is what I had to go on.    Everything beyond that was guess work.  I decided to use cherry wood for the desk.  I started by making the back panel of the desk.  Then I added the desk bottom since I knew the depth of the desk and the width.  The front panel was easier to do because I already knew the size based on the back and the bottom of the desk.  I was already loving this built.  On the inside of the desk I made the cubby holes the same as what the picture showed.  One side of the desk had four drawers.  Again I just guessed at the sizes based on the picture.


The other side of the desk had a place for maps, drawings or books.  
     

In the four drawers of the desk I put some letters from home, some seashells he is saving for his daughter, and a treasure map he keeps handy (just in case).   

I added some detail to the top and feet of the desk.  Thank goodness for tiny turnings.  I finished it off by filling the desk with everything he would need, including a good stiff drink.  
       
On the inside of the desk I added the two little drawers and put some paper, pencils, ruler, etc. to make it looked like the Captain used the desk often.

    


 




6 comments:

  1. El escritorio es una monada. Tiene una bonita organización. Has conseguido mantener las proporciones aunque sea a ojímetro-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, fue un desafío, pero me gustó mucho cómo resultó.

      Delete
  2. Love it, Louise! I hope to get to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this desk, Louise. You did a fabulous job, as usual! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks my friend. I get my talent from watching you?

    ReplyDelete